June 5, 2008

"Then after the show it's the (after party) and after the party it's the (hotel lobby)"

Jonathan & I have been married for 6 months on Sunday.  Getting married was probably one of the most exciting and tiring things I have ever done.  It was a whole year of spending most of my time planning for the big day.  It's amazing I still have a job!  I spent so much time browsing theknot.com, updating my weddingchannel.com profile, adding more items to my many many registries, browsing iTunes for just the right music for the ceremony/reception, and emailing my moms & mother-in law about all the little things I needed their help with.  It was a lot of work, a lot of fun, and I'm oh so happy that I never have to do it again. 

Having gone through the experience of planning a wedding, attending other people's weddings has become so enjoyable.   Jonathan & I were one of the first of our friends to get married.  We went to one other wedding in 2007.  2008 is turning out to be the year of weddings.  We've already been to two and we've got three coming up.  Sure, it's not a record number of weddings, but for us, it's a lot.  

Last weekend we went to Henderson (a.k.a. Middle of Nowhere) Texas to attend the wedding of a guy that I've known my whole life.  He also happens to be the one responsible for introducing me to Jonathan our Freshman year of college.   Anyway, it was a really great wedding.  It was very different than my wedding, which was not exactly traditional... (we were married in a "barn" by a preacher who was wearing one Birkenstock sandal and two of our groomsmen passed out!...but this is a story for another day...I digress...)   This wedding was extremely traditional right down to walking down the aisle to "Bridal Chorus" & exiting to "Wedding March".  It was really sweet and I could appreciate all of the hard work and planning that went into putting together a wedding with over 500 guests.  Jonathan & I particularly enjoyed it because it was a mutual friend so we both knew a lot of people there and we could mingle and if we got separated it wasn't the end of the world.

Mom...stop reading here :)

So the wedding was great, but my favorite part was the afterparty.  The place to be was the Holiday Inn Express pool.  Yes, we sat outside the Holiday Inn Express pool in Henderson, TX with about three coolers full of beer & one of my good friends led a little sing along.  It's a tradition that we used to do almost every weekend in college.  So, it was nice to reenact those good ole days.   So about 2am this poor little front desk attendant comes out to the pool.  Clay, my friend who was playing the guitar & serenading started playing the Jason Boland classic, "Rich, Dumb, Young, Nymphomaniac" (yes the song really says that...you can view a live version of it here).  Luckily the guy had a good sense of humor.  So, he tells us that guests are complaining and that we can't stay out by the pool. 

The alternative...we can go hang out in the lobby.  So, we pack up our coolers and head to the lobby of the Holiday Inn Express in Henderson, TX.  We continued our little sing along until about 3:30am when Jiggity & I decided to call it a night.  

If the next three weddings we have to go to end up like the one last weekend, it's going to be a great year of weddings!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!